Chromium VI: The race against time to keep an underground plume of Chromium VI from seeping into the water supply of 22 million people. Winner of the July 2007 Washington Monthly Journalism Award.
- The Colorado River at Risk, Las Vegas Sun
Quenching Las Vegas’s Thirst: A five part series on plans by Las Vegas to tap the Great Basin Aquifer. Winner of the 2009 Best of the West Environment and Natural Resources Reporting Award.
- Part One: Satiating a Booming City
- Part Two: The Chosen One
- Part Three: The Equation: No Water, No Growth
- Part Four: Not This Water
- Part Five: “Owens Valley is the Model of What to Expect”
- The Elephant in the Reservoir, Los Angeles Times
- Politics and Water Conservation, Los Angeles Times
- Now, About City Hall’s Lawn, Los Angeles Times
- Where Sediment Runs Uphill and Fresh Water Down the Drain, High Country News
- When shorelines denote dustbowls: LA’s imprint on the Owens Valley, Arid